dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

the bike

My yellow bike was stolen while I was in Africa so I returned to Paris bikeless.  Already two days of metroing felt like an unbearable task. I wanted a bike. I needed a practical form of transport. And walking, though otherwise ideal was just a bit too slow for my purposes.

Yesterday I went to the canal just to check out some places and to try my luck. In the first one the guy showed me a cute green thing he would sell me for 50€. Not a bad price but the bike looked like it would not make it out the door. And unfortunately the second proposal was not too much better. How frustrating.

I walked down the canal, in the cold rain, unhappy. Without too many expectations I stepped into the shop I used to take my bike to be repaired. “I have a bike for you – it is a great buy.” Yes I am sure. What a waste of time.

He brought the bike out. Apparently it had come in the very same morning. I looked at it. Price? 100€. I looked at the guy. I looked at the bike. And I looked at the guy. “What is wrong with it?”

“But nothing! It is like new! Don’t you trust me? Don’t you see it is like new?” oh, yes. I did see it was almost new and that was the problem. I circled around the shop with it. I had a basket in the front. It had a lamp that works. I had gears. It worked perfectly. It is black and looks like a Dutch bike – though obviously is not an original Hollandaise.

And now it is mine.

I paid. Bought a lock. I started biking.  It worked like a dream. I turned towards the river. And that is when the sun came out.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home