dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Thursday, September 13, 2007

counting steps

I have been convinced that I am an active person, I walk a lot and I bike everywhere, I hardly ever take the elevator, the bus or the tram.

To reassure myself I borrowed a pedometer and attached it to my waist. On Tuesday, by lunchtime I had taken 400 steps and the meter stopped. That’s ridiculous – surely I had walked more than that. Obviously not. I found out that after having been still for a long period of time I have to take 6steps for the counter to start counting again. Hmmm, it had cheated…I had walked a bit more. And besides I only put the meter on after my gym class in the morning, before work. But still, it was pretty pathetic.

Apparently you should take 10000 steps a day to stay healthy and 12000-15000 to get fitter. Fine, I will reach that.

After work I went to work work. Surely this would give me the steps I needed. But I was told it would be a quiet night. But still, surely, it must. By the time we started cleaning up I was at 12500 steps and when I got home at 16005 steps. If you add those 400 from the morning it makes 16405 steps. Pretty good I though.

Yesterday I decided to redo my little measuring activity. After all, it would be a walking day and then a busy night at work work. By lunchtime I had take 2500 steps. Excellent. This was more like it. But it was all downhill from there. At the end of the day I had only taken 13700 steps, which is something like 8km. That nothing more than a short run. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

I was depressed. I had been convinced I am an active person and never has to worry about not moving and exercising enough. But in reality, if I don’t do my sports I don’t move that much. In fact I only move enough to stay healthy and reasonably fit.

Oh and I no longer bike that much either, as I live so close to my work.

How depressing.

Today I left the stupid pedometer into my drawer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home