dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Monday, May 07, 2007

about winning the nobel prize

This afternoon, after our Sunday morning run we decided to take our books and go to the canal to study. We sat on a sunny terrace, me with my five million articles and my friend with his laptop. The aim was to define his thesis hypothesis, while I was supposed to understand the risks of openness to emerging economies.

He got an idea – this was going to be the start of his magnificent career. Seriously, his thesis would solve the problems of all post–conflict countries, amaze the academic community and win him the Nobel price, both the peace and the economics one.

Another hour and I was getting bored and my friend was getting demoralised. He saw the Nobel price slipping away as I pointed out few difficulties in the realisation of his amazing study. He kindly pointed out that I would run into similar problems with mine – “yes, I am aware of that, thank you”. Another hour and the second price seemed like nothing more than a silly dream. I started feeling cold, as the sun escaped behind the building.

One more hour and I saw equations dancing in the sky and my friend had started to examine the current news about the French elections. Over 3000 extra police were going to be on duty only in Paris to make sure that nothing would happen if Sarkozy wins. Great. Would this mean more protests and trouble? If you asked us – it would. We gave up with saving the world and solving the problems of all post-conflict countries and started to plan our anti-Sarko riots. Surely there would be need for some extra help? Besides afterwards – we would have a perfect case study with data readily in our pockets – what wouldn’t you do for your studies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home