dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Saturday, February 03, 2007

cinema

Last night we went to the cinema to see Blood Diamond. The idea of “going out” gave me some motivation for revision, though somehow it is a bit too easy to find alternative tasks, that must be done right there and then.

Anyways, we were all pretty tired but had high expectations. And we were not disappointed. The film was excellent. I won’t say it is not at all Hollywood and at times a bit cheesy but all in all…wau. I am not a huge fan of Dicaprio – or should I say I wasn’t before. Not only has he turned into a Man but also he seems to have found is talent that has been hiding somewhere in the cupboard the past years. And the rest of the crew was equally impressive.

I noticed that as the film went on I started missing South Africa more and more. It is just the accent (not so much the Afrikaans) that made me shiver. And the scene where the girl was having coffee, sitting on a terrace...that view…oh so familiar and so beautiful.

And that was not my point either – after the film we were wondering about school. If, like for real, we do end up somewhere in Africa, will all those fancy theories help us to make it? I doubt it. But to get there and to live the reality I have to pass these exams.

There is no point me analysing the film, but anyone who has seen it can surely understand why I liked it. And not it is also not the conversations about relationships and life (how old are you? -31, you married? – no, do you have children? – no, do you have a home? – no…why does this sound so familiar?...or the thing about past don’t know how many boyfriends thinking that she likes to live in a constant state of crises).

Maybe you have to be a student of international something and live in a little dream world where you still think you can make a difference to really appreciate the film – who knows? But even then, it just climbed up to the top of my list when it comes to recent cinema. Obviously I still prefer Mary Poppins but not sure if these two can really be compared…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home