dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

winetasting...

Tonight(well it is almost tomorrow but still) we had wine tasting at work. This does not mean that we all got together, drank lots of wine, and had a rowdy night – quite contrary. We passed a civilised 2hours discussing and analysing the attacks, mid-pallets, colour and the smell of numerous white and red French wines. Our boss is determined that for us to do our job properly – serve the 400 wines we have on the wine list – we should know what we really are talking about.

Personally I always thought that it is enough to know whether a wine is good or bad and whether I like it or not. Who cares if the leg of the wine is pretty or not? And even if there is dried apricot and honey and also possibly a hint of pineapple in the smell of the Coteaux du Layon I like it and I like it a lot. By the way, did you know that it is, like many other (or all?)sweet wines a late harvest wine? However, despite my slight prejudices, I tried to take the evening seriously. And indeed there is a difference in the taste when a Sancerre is served chilled or at the temperature of 17C°. I did not find the liquorice from the Bourgogne but I did agree on the cherry. With the Fronsac thought – well maybe it was closed, I am not sure. But at any rate the Cairanne, which apparently had a hint of cloves (I only guessed “spicy”) in its smell was better, in my opinion.

After two and bit hours of intelligent sniffing, the lesson was over. Two of my friends and I decided that we were starving. We finished our glasses (I had already poured out over 10 classes of perfectly good wine so was not going to waste the last one) and started racing towards the top of Belleville. Soon we were comfortably sat down in this tiny Thai restaurant that has been in the neighbourhood for over 20years, and has changed nothing since it opened. The food there is delicious. My meal cost me less than a glass of those wines that I tasted would have and afterwards I was not sure to be able to leave the table. My 0.30€ tea had maybe a slight hint of aluminium to it, but even still, it was good. And warm.

At midnight we were kicked out. Apparently the restaurant had closed an hour ago. Oh well. But what a great night! And luckily I live at the bottom of the hill so it was my bike who took me home and I could just enjoy the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home