dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Monday, November 17, 2008

rye bread

On Saturday we trekked down to IKEA again. My main motivation for the journey was the distant promise of goodies. A number of people had been raving about IKEA’s bread in the box and I could no longer resist the temptation of trying it out. And some blueberry soup would not be unwanted either.

The following morning, after breakfast I got ready for the baking experience. It is fairly simple and straightforward – you open the dough carton. It is like milk carton but instead of milk it has all the dry ingredients of proper, dark, rye bread. Then you add 6dl of water and shake hard.

When your arms start getting tired you pour the dough into an oven pan. Or so the instructions tell you.

Instead of thick dough I had coloured water with some lumps. And the dry dough material was at the bottom of the carton. Fabulous. I cut the carton open, emptied the rest of the ingredients into the pan and mixed the whole thing up with a spoon and my hands. What a mess. Luckily I was still in my pyjamas so at least my clothes didn’t get dirty.

Let it stand for 45min. Easy.

Bake for 60min. Not too difficult. If you remember when you put the thing into the oven.

I thought that letting the bread cool down a bit would make sense. Which was a wise decision as the whole blob was firmly stuck in the pan. It had never crossed my mind that the dough, once baked, would attach itself tightly into the glass pan. Great.

I cut trough the hard surface and pulled a knife around the edges. And a second time.

Nothing.

I took my red IKEA spatula and tried with that. It worked.

I turned the pan upside down and hoped that by shaking hard I could get the bread fall out. I got crumbs all over the place.

I cut a nice slice and fished it out with the help of a spoon. Now I had a piece of bread (in little chunks) to taste and in addition I was able to use the spatula to remove the bread from the bottom of the pan. I edged the tool slightly under the bread, turned the whole thing around and shook.

Crumbs all over. And a big, fresh, rye bread on the table.

And I must say, the bread was very good. But I still don’t understand why everybody told me it is so simple, easy and quick to make. Funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home