dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Friday, November 21, 2008

a certain lecture at a certain school

Last night I went to an open lecture to one of the rather prestigious schools for economics in this town. The talk was given by Finland’s current minister of foreign affairs. I have heard him speak before and was very much looking forward to what he had to say.

When I arrived to the venue I was slightly taken back – all these students. For a moment I felt very much out of place, despite the fact that only few months ago I was still strolling the corridors of another institute for higher education. Obviously, because of the identity of the speaker, there were many of my countrymen present. I heard them speak their funny language – something that has become a rather rare treat nowadays. And they were all blond. Me included even if my colour is far from natural. I can now understand why people think all northerners are blonds with blue eyes.

The speech, focusing on the challenges facing IR in the current world was short and to the point. While I must say that I sometimes wonder if Mr minister confuses reality and utopia he underlined some fundamental issues including the need to reform major global institutions. However, while I agree with him on the main points I do not, unfortunately, see the UN turning into United Continents (UC for short) any time soon, maybe not even in my lifetime.

The closing line of his speech was mind-boggling and so very true – “Crisis we are facing now is a terrible thing to waste”.

As it is accustomed, especially when the auditorium is filled with student being taught to question and criticise everything and everyone, the speaker was bombarded with questions. This is where you can start seeing the change that has taken place in a bureaucrat turned into a politician. He dodged well all uncomfortable remarks to rogue states in Africa, giving well-rounded, well-founded answers that said absolutely nothing. Known for his firm views about a certain military alliance he kept his minister’s hat tightly on this time when answering the question whether this particular organisation should indeed also enlarge to the North-East. Apparently, while Finland does not have an attitude problem with this organisation it also does not have an appetite for membership for the moment. I remember hearing a slightly different answer few years ago in Brussels, but it could be just my mind playing tricks on me.

I left the lecture intrigued and curious. Many of the issues and people referred to in that room would definitely deserve further investigation. I wanted to know more. I wanted to understand better. After my original aversion to being surrounded by students I started feeling slight jealousy. Me too. I want to study more too.

Despite having sworn I will never ever ever go back to school, never again, I am now considering my options…maybe I should go back to school. If only part time.

Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home