dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Saturday, August 11, 2007

what am i like?

Yesterday, by the time my boss arrived at the office, I had already made coffee, printed of few reports, had a second breakfast and was typing so that the keyboard was sending off smoke signals. She had stayed in the office until late the night before but told me I made her feel lazy. We were both scrammed with work but despite this I, for once took the time to go out for lunch. I met up with a friend of mine for a quick gossip session in the sun.

As I was packing my bags at the end of the day, my boss asked me about my plans for the evening. I told her that in fifteen minutes time I would be on a boat and on my way to work – the other one. She laughed, apparently she could see herself in me, herself 15years ago – now she no longer has two jobs, but one that takes the time of two. In the morning she comes to work, late in the evening she goes home, puts on her running shoes and after a relaxing break on the road climbs into bed just to be back in the office on time the following morning. She does not have a family of her own, or a permanent address – nothing is holding her down and she likes to have a one way ticked in her drawer. Well, people have different priorities.

I took my bag, ran downstairs and jumped on to my bike. The boat trip is not too long, but it is long enough for me to enjoy the beautiful view and the warm summer day (I know you all think it is always cold in Finland, but personally I think 28C is bearable). Just after one in the morning I changed back into my own clothes, took the boat back to the mainland, jumped on my bike, cycled home, climbed upstairs, set my alarm and curled into bed.

In the morning I got up, did some work while having breakfast (after reading the newspaper), took a shower, jumped on to my bike and came to work. By the time my boss arrived at the office, I had already made coffee…

I thought, that since I am in Finland for such a long time I would have time to see my friends, enjoy summer and do all the things I haven’t had time to do. Instead, somehow, I work overtime in one job and then spend the free time that is left over in another. I still haven’t caught up with sleep (surely that can be done after retirement) nor painted my toenails. But really, I don’t mind.

I wonder if I will ever learn the meaning of the words relax, take it easy and social life.

AND is the person sitting next to me, the image of me in fifteen years time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home