dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Thursday, June 12, 2008

finland.

When I first moved abroad, nobody ever mentioned Finland. Though I once saw an article in the Guardian titled “Thin like a Finn”, talking about the system of school lunches and obviously there was the odd footballer or a Formula 1 driver, who made the papers.

Then there was Lordi – the heavy metal band that managed to steal the first place in the Eurovision.

And now there is...well now there is nostalgia for the times when Finland was not really even on the map.

I don’t know what has happened to the reputation of my country. But I can ensure you that the development is not to the right direction. Only on Tuesday was the latest mini scandal featured in the Financial Times. I didn’t read the article because avoided all thinking requiring activities on the day to recover from the thesis panic which preceded it, but unfortunately a lot of other people did. And the jokes – oh all the jokes.

But I must admit that corruption does beat adultery, love affairs, mistress, nasty divorces and whatever else has been popping up in the papers, internationally. The grumpy, northern male, who only speaks when he has something real to say and certainly avoids all flowery phrases and other pick-up lines, is long gone. Unfortunately. I used to hate thinking that “hi” can be considered an eloquent start to a conversation and a definite sign for a man’s interest, but accepted this as a necessary harm and fault in the other sex. But at least I could trust the words of a Finn. But now, if the French papers are worth believing in, the cold stone face is rivalling the French president in love scandals. Perfect. Just perfect.

And vodka. All Finns drink vodka. I have been told. And eat salmon. Salmon and vodka, vodka with salmon and after salmon some vodka. And the salmon is obviously smoked. Always. Always smoked. And when Finland was featured in the centre of Paris for a month, this is what I found. Nothing but. Well not much but.

Seriously people. Seriously. I remember there being more to it all.

But until that makes it to the papers, I might have to do my best to look Scandianvian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home