dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Sunday, May 25, 2008

hit and miss

Looking for work is a fulltime job.

For years now I have been working, nights, weekends, holidays, days, mornings, when ever. Having work to do has never been a problem - in fact there has been more then enough of it. But now, when I really need to start my working career and become a responsible citizen I seem to have reached a dead end. And I am not the only one.

Someone I know filled in 45 applications got one interview and luckily the job.  Another friend of mine hit the jackpot with the 72nd. I am at 20 something.

So far I have had two responses. A volunteer organisation was kind enough to tell me that I did not have a high enough degree nor enough experience. In other words, I am not qualified to work for free. The second and so far the last response was a bit more promising – phone interview. At the end of the call the representative promised to let me know the following they, if I had or had not been selected for the second round of interviews. This was a month ago. And I am still waiting.

Then again, we should be happy. The odds are on our side. When interviewed I was one of the 4 chosen from 60 something applicants (you can tell it was not an international organisation but a nice Finnish group of do-goodders), which is not too bad. But though this was highly unusual, there still normally aren’t more then 250-2500applicants for a post. 

The application process in itself is rather easy. You fill up the application form online, click send and wait. And wait and wait and while you wait you fill up another application – which will have different questions, different information and different format. And another and another. And you wait. If you get a reply, it is always a good sign – because they only contact the shortlisted candidates. The rest are left waiting.

And while I am waiting – I might just go on holiday. Have a break from nothingness. But not yet, first have to finish school, work and work on those applications.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home