dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Sunday, June 01, 2008

mum runs

My mother ran a marathon yesterday.  Throughout the day I kept checking the official marathon website to see how my runners were doing – jealous, oh so very jealous for not being there myself. And why wasn’t I? Because, I had to present at school on the Saturday morning. It is such a shame how studying can distract everything that matters in life.

She kept a steady pace throughout the race, only slowing down a bit for 5kilometres about half way through. Knowing her she panicked because it was all going too well or something else silly like that. But the she obviously got her act back together and speeded up back to the original pace she then kept all the way to the end. So jealous. When have I ever managed to run a steady race?

She didn’t win. She was not even the first one in her category. But I am very proud of her. Very very very proud of her.

My mum is not a runner. She is not one of these crazy people who feel happier in their trainers, on the road, no matter what the weather, than in anything or anywhere else. My mum works. I mean she has a serious job – a career. I am so very used to getting a phone call from the office at 9PM my time, which is, I don’t even want to think how late her time. Email before 7AM is not a rarity either. In fact, try getting hold of her during the day – well that’s not going to happen. Unless you manage to catch her in between two meetings. Or a Sunday, when she might just be in her garden, maybe. But she still, despite only having 24hours in her day, like every other mortal, finds the time to run.

I get emails with good training tips. I get phone calls telling me about an hours long training run in the snow. She replies to my text on the way to the pool where she aqua jogs to make her training more efficient and varied. I don’t know how she does it all but she does. Crazy but true.

So, did I tell you already? My mum ran a marathon yesterday.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home