dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Sunday, March 18, 2007

elections

Today are the parliamentary elections in Finland. Obviously I have thus had the past two weeks to go to the embassy and vote. In fact I even went to the embassy but didn’t vote –which is pretty bad, I suppose.

I have friends here who are quite keen to know what the result is going to be and others who, like me, don’t really care. And why can’t we be bothered? Why is it more interesting to know who is going to be the next French president or when will the opposition leader in Zimbabwe get out from hospital? And I think the common sentiment is that Finnish politics don’t really matter to us.

It is horrible to say that you it is all the same what happens in your own country but at the same time it is logical – I guess. It is almost impossible to get a proper picture of what is going on by reading only few online newspapers. Most of them seem to be concentrating on everything but the politics part of the elections. Due to this, I have not yet managed to understand what really is going to be the difference between their policies now, yesterday and tomorrow. I could, obviously, vote for the Greens, just because I always vote for the Greens, but at the same time I have my papers in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere, in a place where I have never ever lived and thus their candidates are all unknown to me. Besides, even if representing “my” party, will some middle age teacher with a back garden represent my interests?

So for now…it is all just too far away. It is all just too irrelevant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home