dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

bite the bullet

The past few months the world has been going on about the credit crunch and the economic crisis and the financial turmoil and the gloomy growth outlook. Nothing but trouble ahead, behind and around.

Friday evening I came home from work with a firm decision that I would make significant progress in my Christmas present mission that very same night still. I had managed to keep my diary page empty and thus I could, with a good consciousness, stay at home amidst my little projects.

The problem was – I needed fabric.

I had been terrified by the idea of London shops, full of manic and overly stressed Christmas shoppers bouncing from one department to another in a frenzied search for the ideal gift. Exaggeratedly heated stores steaming from a mixture of smelly fumes from wet overcoats playing cheery songs and dinggelidongs. Absolute horror.

I was sitting inside, with a hot cuppa when it started raining. The idea of leaving the comforts of my own home to start the search of material suddenly felt even less appealing. But, I decided to be strong and bite the bullet.

Half way up Oxford Street I regretted my determination. Extended business hours had obviously encouraged busy bankers to squeeze in some serious shopping between the office and the Friday night pint.

I locked my bike in front of the department store, took a deep breath and walked in.

Silence. Total silence.

Further away an older lady was examining some expensive looking creams. Another customer was leisurely strolling the aisles in search for something, not sure he himself knew what.

I took the escalator to the fourth floor and managed to climb up without someone bumping into me, without needing to use my elbows or even to excuse myself as I try to pass people standing side by side thus blocking the likes of us who prefer to use their own feet when moving between floors.

In the fabric/sewing/crafts department there was a Finnish lady comparing different Fiskars scissors and a handful of random wanderers but as the section is rather spacious I could move around freely admiring the numerous fabrics and trying to convince myself not to buy all of them. Unfortunately the colour ribbon I needed was not in the shelf. I asked one of the sales ladies if that particular string could be found in red or green. And only few minutes after she came back with – both.

And new waiting inline when wanted to pay. (after I had finally decided that enough is enough and was ready to go home and start tinkering)

THANK YOU credit crunch.
(there is something good in everything)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home