dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Monday, October 06, 2008

beetroot

I am haunted by beetroot.

After my return to the UK I rediscovered pickled beetroot. For less than a pound I can get a huge jar of beetroots in vinegar. And they are delicious. But the problem is that it is something I get cravings for. I have never been able to explain to myself where this weird desire to eat pickled beetroot or cucumber comes from but it is a very stubborn desire. So now every time I do my grocery shopping I buy a jar and it will no doubt last for at most two meals.

But this is not it. Now the silly red vegetable is following me everywhere.

I went to the country with my friend a week or so ago and on the way we stopped at the super market to get salad ingredients for our pretentiously healthy dinner. While I was picking up lettuce he popped something into the basket – beetroots. Ok. Ok. Ready cooked beetroots are a good thing to put into the salad. Why not.

Last week I ended up eating my Friday’s lunch for Thursday’s second dinner (I was hungry) so on Friday I had to march to the shop to get a take a way lunch. And the only nice looking salad I found was – with beetroot. On the way back I stopped at my usual coffee place and while waiting for my Americano with some hot skinny milk I noticed their new autumn drink – carrot and ginger with…beetroot.

Last Saturday I went out for a nice meal to a rather fancy restaurant. Sigh. No beetroot. Not in any of their dishes. I had managed to escape the haunting red root vegetable. While we were concentrating on the delicious sounding dishes on the menu our waiter (French – what a pleasure) brought us little nibbles to start with – a ball with mozzarella, chorizo stick, foie gras mousse…and BEETROOT with goat cheese.

I must admit it was a good combination though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home