dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Friday, September 05, 2008

the office

I started a new job on Monday. It is my first real job. I am no longer a student working evenings and weekend to earn the money for my rent or an intern, getting work experience during holidays but I have a full time job with a monthly salary and that is it.

Excitement. And confusion.

I am in the office during the day and during the day only. No evenings. No weekends. I honestly am not even sure what this kind of a life should entail. What do people do with all this free time? Not to say I haven’t managed to keep myself occupied.

After my first day at work I was not quite sure what was expected of me. In fact I was totally lost. In my first real re-cap meeting yesterday morning it was obvious that my position had not changed much. It had, if possible gotten worse.

I went back to my desk completely discouraged. Surely there had been at least one word in a right place in that text. Well, there wasn’t. And I was not quite sure how to ensure that there would be. I restarted reading but could not understand most of the terms and concepts used in the text. And time kept running faster and faster and I had no new words on the screen but the word document was equally blank as it had been hours earlier.

Panic.

I asked for help, but could still not grasp the main points. I could feel tears gather into my eyes. I left my desk to avoid people from seeing I was crying.

I was devastated. I would never learn the job. Surely you should, even at the very beginning at least be going to the right direction and not be at level zero.

Five past five I took my bag and left the office. I could not take it any longer. I walk home regretting ever having moved to London. Four days. I had been living here for four days. Must be a new record.

Today I got thumbs up. Good work I was told. Still not as good as it will have to be but good nevertheless.

I didn’t cry today.

And will come back on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home