dream hunter

You wonder if you should take a step to the unknown. She leaped. You wonder if you knew how. She taught you. You wonder if you could. She did. A friend who's always there. A source of inspiration and admiration. Courageous, beautiful and full of amazing thoughts. She's someone so annoyingly perfect you'd want to hate her. But you can't help but love her. by iiris

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

bike

I have a new bike. Again.

Despite living walking distance from the office, my first week in London made me miss a proper mode of transport. There is the tube, yes. But everybody knows that the only thing it does is eat your time and money. It will not work when you need to get somewhere, it is guaranteed to get stuck at least once during your journey and other than occasional open window it has no ventilation.

Not my cup of tea.

So I got a bike. A second hand one. I was hoping to find a courier bike with one gear only and a light frame but there were none available so I settled for a basic city bike with too many gears to my liking but a sturdy frame and an ugly colour. It looks quite nice, and I am afraid that despite of the chain lock thicker than my wrist it will not remain in my possession for too long but if it does I have a two week period when I can change it to another one if for any reason I decide not to like it and in addition to that, one month of free repair if something goes wrong. I considered this to be a bargain.

To try off my new ride I cycled from mine to Greenwich to go for a run. Didn’t get lost. Wasn’t hit by a car. And nothing fell off my bike. Promising. And less time consuming than the train. And by far more nerve preserving.

Yesterday it was time for the true test – going to work. I decided, as it was not raining (the rare morning in London when it is not wet. Sun would be an exaggeration) to wear my suit for the way. And trainers. In my minds eye I could imagine my brother’s facial expression, had he seen me, when I packed my heels in my bag. Besides, the whole wearing trainers on the way to work is so New York and so pretentious. But so very practical.

I shifted through the city, with my open suit jacket flapping behind me, like Batman’s cape.

12minutes due to unexpected one-way street that forced me to do an extra tour. 15minutes after having closed the front door at home I kicked off my trainers and put my feet into heels.
Not bad at all. For London.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home